Monday, November 19, 2012

What Number Am I Thinking Of?

If you guessed "Sixty-nine, dudes!" you were darn close. 




The correct answer is 67.75.

It is my new temporary favorite number.

It is how much weight I have left to lose.

Now you might be thinking -- and rightfully so -- that is a damn odd number -- plus it doesn't really seem like anything to brag about.

Perspective.  It's all about perspective. Allow me to elaborate on mine.

A woman I've never spoken to before approached me today at the gym. "I just wanted to tell you that I've really noticed all of your hard work paying off. You've changed your shape really quickly."

"Thanks!" I said, laughing a little bit, "But it hasn't really been that quick!"

"Maybe not from your perspective (there's that word again!), but watching you it's seemed fast. You are really persistent!"

"Thank you for that! I've lost almost 50 pounds, but I still have about 100 to go." Actually, to get to the kind of numbers the (EVIL) BMI charts think I should be hitting, it's more like 110 or 120, but 100 is the most most people -- including me -- can wrap their brain around, so I rounded down.  Or so I thought. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

"That's great! A third of the way there!"

My trainer came by then, before she had a chance to say the dreaded "I" word. (Inspiration. I hate that word. I don't know why, but it really rubs me the wrong way. She was headed there I think, but we managed to avoid it. This time, anyway.)

We did my measurements today. Since I started training with her I've gone from 33.5% body fat to 25% body fat. That is substantial! While I acknowledge that 25% body fat is nothing to brag about, dropping 8.5% is inarguably impressive. That wasn't the best part. The best part was when she said I was still carrying 67.75 pounds of fat. I understand if you don't get right away why that is even a good part, much less the best part.

This means that I not only cannot but SHOULD not lose more than 67.75 pounds. Not 100 pounds. Not 110 or 120 pounds. 67.75 pounds.

Not even.

Because 67.75 pounds would put me at 0% body fat and that is not a reasonable goal for anyone.

So.

LESS THAN 67.75 pounds.

I can SO do that.

My muscle mass is increasing more rapidly than the fat is coming off, too.

I didn't commit those numbers to memory but they were good. If this fat comes off, I'll be a beast.

Rawr.


No comments:

Post a Comment