Sunday, December 9, 2012

During: Before the After, But After the Before

We all love a good "before" and "after" photo.  I don't have one of those (yet). But I have this: A before and during.

Summer 2011/Winter 2012
The first photo was taken on a girls' weekend at Kelley's Island, when the motto Eat, Drink and Be Merry still included eating and drinking. The second photo was taken this morning when I chanced upon the same outfit and decided to try it on and see how it looked with 50 less pounds in it. I cannot wait to take another picture 50 pounds from now.  I have put this outfit on a hanger in the back of my closet with that purpose in mind.

It would be very easy to pick apart the second picture. It would be easy, but it wouldn't be nice -- and I am making a concerted effort to be nicer to myself. So I shall take the high road and look at the two comparatively, rather than looking at either critically. It was what it was, it is what it is, it shall be what it shall be.

The second picture shows progress. It does not show a mission accomplished. I know this. But it shows progress -- steps in the right direction.

I like it.

And I like that I am happy in both.

I expect to be happy when the after is added, too.

But it's easy to look happy in the after.

Everyone always looks happy in the after.

I love that I was happy in the before and that I am happy in the during.

No comments:

Post a Comment