Thursday, January 17, 2013

Change is Good

Things have been changing fast 'round here.

I mentioned the health problems my trainer was having. Well, they provided a wake up call and she has made some changes in her life -- her story to tell, not mine. But it affected me. She has taken a day job and is either cutting waaaaaaay back on her training, if not cutting it out altogether.

She said she wanted to continue with me -- and I believe that she does want to -- but as she was describing the changes in her life I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. She wants to continue, but it's just not going to happen.

What the hell was I going to do?

I contacted her -- expressed my concerns -- and proposed a solution. I had been lifting with her 3 times a week and on my own 1 time a week and just doing cardio 2 days. Sunday I either do nothing or do something just for fun -- like a bike ride or a hike. I was starting to feel like I wanted more -- I was ready for a change anyway. So I asked her to map out a schedule that involved 6 days of lifting -- that she could tell me what body part or parts to work on each day and give me a couple sample workouts and then -- when she was available to train me, she'd know what body part or parts were due next and when she was not available I would never have to worry that what I chose to do would conflict with something she had planned.

She took it one better.

She wrote me actual workout plans for the week and has promised to do so every week. She will work with me when she can, but when she can't I'll know just what to do. I just completed my 4th day of the 1st week with this new system and I have to say -- wow.

I have been able to give myself a really challenging workout each day. I push myself to failure on at least one muscle/muscle group every day and I am really feeling it. And it feels good. It feels like it did when I first got started.

She didn't work with me at all this week, and next week I will be on vacation -- continuing my workouts in the gym there -- but I know next time we do manage to get together she will be pleased with me. Her plans are well-written and well thought out and I am following them to the letter. The change in her life DID result in a change in mine as well -- but we have managed to make it a change for the better.

I have never felt stronger than I do today (though I suspect that tomorrow I might feel just a little bit stronger).

Righteous.

No comments:

Post a Comment