Wednesday, February 4, 2009

And it Begins

Tonight I begin the next leg in my journey to fitness and better health. I love going to the gym. An injury with an extended convalescence period forced me to quit, then finances made it difficult to rejoin. This month the planets aligned - the money and the motivation were both present. Tom bought a years membership to the YMCA for the girls and I. He couldn't be less interested. I wanted to join the Y rather than another gym, because they are the only gym close by that has a pool. And they have both an indoor and an outdoor pool, so our membership also gets us a membership to the pool in the summer! Woo hoo! I have painful degenerative arthritis in my knees and I've been told water exercise is the way to go.

Tonight both girls went with me and they loved it! We worked on the elliptical machines for 15 minutes (first night in! Didn't want to burn out!) then messed around on some of the nautical type stuff that I was comfortable with. Also did some free weights, but very conservatively.

My intent is to get my more serious workouts in in the morning and then go in the evenings with the girls and maybe take a couple classes or help them with their workouts (while getting an extra dose of cardio for myself!)

I'm hoping against hope that I can keep my perspective this time and not get caught up in weight loss - because that doesn't go well for me. I just want to get in better shape. I want to be strong and increase my endurance. I want to be healthier and feel better. Those are all very valid and - perhaps more importantly - attainable goals. Significant weight loss is not.

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment